An important departure in Catholic School work in the Archdiocese occurred in 1906. The Mexican population of Oxnard at the time had increase to such an extent that Father John Laubacher felt the need to do something for the Mexican children. The result was that he established Guadalupe School on Seventh Street. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet taught the children until 1926, when a community of exiled nuns arrived from Mexico, found refuge in Oxnard, and took over the work of teaching the children of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School. The exiled Sisters, after only two and half years, were invited to open a convent in Los Angeles and conduct a school for girls only. Thus, in 1928, the Sister’s of St. Joseph again resumed the administration and teaching at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School. With the Dedication of subsequent faculties of teachers and Sisters the children of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School continue to receive a Catholic Education. Today Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School is an award winning, nationally ranked school in Math and Reading and had been recognized by various, organization including The White House for excellence in education.